How to Drive Traffic to Your Blog
There are hundreds of millions of blogs out there, and only a small percentage of them have regular readerships. Here are some tips to drive traffic to your blog:
- Submit your blog to search engines
This one is very basic, but effective. Go to the homepages of major search engines like Google, Yahoo!, and Bing to submit the URL of your blog for indexing.
- Build a community
- Set up a Rich Site Summary (RSS) feed
RSS feeds automatically compile your blog’s activity into a standardized summary. Users can sign up for RSS updates from their favorite blogs. This makes it easy for users to follow your blog regularly.
- Aggressive social media advertising
Spend as much time as you possibly can building a social media presence. Release content and posts on all social media channels regularly. This will help you attract customers as friends or followers of your social media. It will also increase your search ranking through organic link building.
- Link to other related blogs
Linking to other great blogs in your content or in your will make other bloggers aware of your work. Many of them will reciprocate by linking back to you.
- Comment on other blogs
Leave useful, productive, and interesting comments on other blogs. Include your URL with every comment. This will not only gain you some new readers, but will also read as linkbuilding to search engine bots.
- Invite guest bloggers and write guest blog posts
Guest blogging is a win-win situation. The host’s blog gets free content, and the guest blogger gets new readers and a new link. Build up relationships with other blogs and help them out with content when you can
- Nominate yourself and others for blogging awards.
Who actually wins the award isn’t that important. What’s important is that even by nominating blogs and participating in the awards process, you are getting your name and your links out there.
- Submit your content Scoop.it
Scoop.it collects and reviews content for other bloggers to link. If you can get your content featured on the front page, it will create a ton of organic high-quality links for your blog.
- Engage in “newsjacking”
“Newsjacking” is when you take a breaking news story, find a unique take on it, and then outcompete actual news sources for hits. Newsjacking is only possible if you are legitimately an expert on the subject. Subscribe to news RSS sites and pay attention to new news stories. Be prepared to drop everything and write a blog post about a news story just as it breaks.
- How to Turn Your Casual Readers into Your Biggest Fans (rafflecopter.com)
- 12 Things That Will Kill Your Blog Post Every Time (seomoz.org)
- 5 Other Tactics to Increase the Flow of Traffic to Your Blog: Introduction (zemanta.com)
- 8 Indispensible Tools to Improve Your Social Media Efficiency (businessesgrow.com)
- Guest Posting: How to Get Started (jenifferthompson.com)
- 4 Simple Actions Every Blogger Should Apply to Attract Visitors – Beginner’s Guide (shoutmeloud.com)