Watch Out – Some SEO Blunders You Can Make For Your Website
In the Know: Search Engine Optimization
Search engine optimization is the practice of making web pages that will be placed high in the results page of a search engine such as Google. In order to achieve a high ranking, web developers and admins use various tools and techniques in optimizing their website. Getting a high ranking in the results page is very important for businesses because research indicates that most people only click on the links at the top of the results page. The more traffic a website will get, the more business it can generate, here is how you can prevent SEO blunders.
Common SEO Mistakes
Not all people have a background on SEO so they do not know about the dos and don’ts of this practice. Knowing how SEO works can help website owners avoid common SEO mistakes that can cost them their rankings. Here are some of most common pitfalls of SEO:
- Web content that is not optimizedThe text of a website must be optimized for the Internet so that Google’s crawlers and spiders will easily find it and rank it high in their results page. To optimize the web content, website owners need to include keywords in the text. These keywords should be present in the title, subheadings and scattered in the entire text. However, they must be careful with the number of keywords because if they do keyword stuffing, Google will deem it as spam.
- Using the wrong keywordsWhen coming up with keywords, a website owner must think like a customers and how he or she will make a search query. He or she must keep in mind that their customers are not members of the industry. For example, the website owner might use the keyword “kitchen electrics” but the customer will search for “kitchen appliances” instead.
- Using FlashA lot of website owners want to use Flash for their websites because they look good and they think it will generate more traffic for their website. However, they should know that crawlers and spiders cannot read Flash content so they cannot index it.
- No backlinks and being a deadendA good website has backlinks, also known as the links that direct users to a website. Backlinks are important because it serves as an indicator of how important and popular a website is. Website owners must keep in mind that these backlinks should be natural, relevant and of quality.
- Poor meta tags and meta descriptionsMeta tags provide information about the website to the search engine and are used by web developers and admins. As with keywords, web developers can also use the wrong meta tags and meta descriptions for their website. These need to be relevant and should also contain keywords so that Google will know what the web page is about. Each meta tag should be unique for each page as well.
- Not using a site mapIf a website has a poor design that is difficult to navigate, users are more likely to leave it. Web developers must keep their websites simple; they can use site maps for user navigation.
Article by Robert Kirk who works at RFK Solutions who are an SEO and Website Design Company based in West Lothian Scotland they carry out wide range of SEO and Website Design services.