You you just trying to do good writing and not playing the game of all the SEO tricks? All those silly “tips” that are supposed to skyrocket you to the top ten of Google.
Instead of all that junk – here are five simple and straightforward SEO tips that will help you rank better integrating seamlessly with your writing.
- One post, one topic, one title. Titles are not only important for your readers but for search engines too, which after all are also readers, although not human. Make sure that the title reflects the topic of the article, and that the article is about a specific topic only. Search engines don’t like confusion and neither do your readers.
- Add the metadescription. This one not about ranking but about getting more clicks. If you scroll down your WordPress text editor page (because you are using WordPress, right?), you will likely see a box where you can add a description of the page with a maximum of about 140 characters. This is what searchers will likely see when they find your page in the search engine results, so use it.
- Don’t forget the main keywords. We’re not asking you to do keyword research, or maybe we are, but a very quick one. Go to Google and start typing the keyword that best describes the topic you are writing about: the auto-complete function will give you the phrase that people actually use to search that topic on the internet, with probably a couple of variations as well. Incorporate those keywords in the body of the text, just to help search engines understand even better what you are talking about.
- Use images and give them titles. You are probably already using images in your posts (and if you’re not, start now), but you should also give them a title using the so called ALT-tag. That’s what search engines use to “read” a picture, so the content of the post will gain more clarity in their eyes. An added bonus is that you might even rank and receive organic traffic from those pictures. Again, WordPress makes it very easy to add the ALT-tag, so there’s nothing technical to learn.
- Write guest posts. No blogger’s an island, as the poet used to say (well, sort of), so reaching out to the other people in your niche should be a natural thing to do. You can do it in forums, via email, or commenting on their blogs. The most effective thing you can do however, is to write a post for their blog, with a link to your site. Just one word of caution though: do it for the relationship and the traffic, not for the link.
That was our five quick and painless SEO tips to make your blogging efforts more rewarding. Good luck.