Marketing and Selling Products On-Line …What Do They Have To Do With Your Business?
We’ve all heard it before, “I’m going to start a business and market it on-line” Ok, that’s a great idea but what do you know about doing business on-line? What do you know about marketing? What will you be selling on-line?
What is Marketing?
According to wikipedia marketing is The action or business of promoting and selling products or services. This is the short definition. But all in all, marketing is the process by which you find a solution to the problem of your given market and sell it to them.
Simple but not easy. I know you wanted this to be easy but a quick fix is not always the answer.
Here are some questions that you might want to answer before you move forward:
- Who is your ideal customer?
- Do you have a list of them so that you can communicate with them on a regular basis?
- Have you surveyed your list and asked them specific questions about what they want?
- Are they buying what you’re selling or are you selling what they’re buying? You’ve got an idea to sell them your great product but they’re not interested. They’ve told you through their questions and surveys that they want XYZ product and how they want it. Your job is to give them what they ask you for. Your mantra might want to be ‘If they’re buying it, you’re selling it’.
- Do they like Free Shipping or a percentage off of retail as a promotion?
Answering these questions will give you an idea of just how you might want to “market” and deliver your goods to your client, so that you can get their money in your pocket. It will be a mutual exchange, after all, if your client doesn’t want what you’re selling, you’re not getting their money.
Selling Products On Line
You’ve found out what your customer wants, now how do you deliver it to them? You’ve chosen to sell it on-line instead of having a brick and mortar. Selling products on-line puts you in a very elite place. You are now part of a global marketing space. People all over the world can see what you have to offer.
It also puts you in a highly competitive space, because you now have to get the attention of your client amongst the millions of businesses that have also chosen to market their business on-line.
Selling products on-line brings in a whole new set of rules to play by. If you don’t know how to get your site ranking in the first three positions on page one of Google, you’re dead in the water.
While there are other search engines, Yahoo and Bing, that are important in your quest for attracting eyes to your business, Google is searched more often and carries more weight. At present, that’s just the way it is.
While it’s a serious road to ranking and getting your business optimized in Google, here are some of the things that you’ll need to consider in order to get the traffic you need so that your potential clients will “show you the money”:
- Establish yourself as an expert. You can do this by writing a series of articles that are keyword rich and have them linking back to your site. A concept that was coined by one of my Mentor’s, James Martell is called the PAD Technique. You write a series of articles that contain good quality content and find other Reputable blogs that need content for their readers and have them point back to your site with 2-3 links. The owners of these sites are giving you permission to write for them and you are providing good quality content for their readers. It’s a win-win situation for both of you. You are not spamming their site and they are not scraping your content from some other blog just to give themselves fillers on their blogs.
- Did I mention keywords. Keywords are the key to what you will write about and how you will position yourself in the rankings. If you don’t target a specific niche, with specific keywords, your articles will be all over the place and you will not show authority in your chosen market.
- Niche, yes even within your given market you must get granular with whom you’re going to sell to. Niching your market means finding a segment of the market that wants a particular product and within this segment is enough people searching for it that it will allow you to make a living.
You’ve found your market, you know just what they want and you are going to sell it to them on-line. Great! Your work is just beginning.
Dedicated To Your Success!
Juliette Samuel has had a very eclectic career working in and around the beauty industry. She has worked as an instructor at the prestigious Fashion Institute of Technology in New York City. She has also been a Professional Image Consultant.
Currently Juliette works as a Skin Care Therapist, acting President and Chief Nose for NYRAJU Skin Care. As such she is in charge of product formulation and development of all scents produced for the line.
Marketing and selling product on-line is how this business is run, it’s an e-commerce store. Without marketing, you have no sales. Without sales, you have no business.