Around 18 months ago Amazon launched the Echo. And it is pretty cool…its a wifi information center and bluetooth speaker. But it was big. And it needed to be plugged in. And – it was kind of expensive. I mean, I was able to get into the beta sale at $99, but it is now $180. Is it worth it…I think it might be. We have ours set up in the bathroom – and its a great information center for the family each day as we prepare.
So – in walks Amazon Tap.
Biggest difference…its not voice activated. Here is Amazon Tap. You tap it, then speak and let it know what you want to do. With the right connections, you can do so many cool things:
- Play songs from Prime music by just saying “Play Bruno Mars from Prime Music”
- Play music from Pandora “Play Today’s Hits station on Pandora”
- Order pizza “Ask Domino’s for my Easy Order”
- Get a ride “Ask Uber for a ride”
- Get information “What is the weather in Los Angeles”
When connected to Wi-Fi you can access Alexa, which the same cloud-based voice service that the Echo uses. It is always improving – and getting “smarter”. All you do is tap the microphone button and make your request.
Use Amazon Tap on your nightstand
Because it has a built in battery, the Amazon Tap has a battery which can play for 9 hours. And when Amazon Tap’s battery is low Alexa will say “Just so you know, the battery is currently low.”
Also – a great charging cradle is part of the deal too – which makes a super simple to charge without all the hassles of plugs and cords. Just set it in the cradle and its charging.
Amazon Tap Details:
- Just tap and ask for music from Prime Music, Spotify, Pandora, iHeartRadio, and TuneIn
- Uses the Alexa Voice Service when connected to Wi-Fi or a mobile hotspot to play music, read the news, provide weather reports, and even order a pizza
- Streams all your music via Bluetooth from your phone or tablet
- Delivers crisp sound powered by Dolby, with dual stereo speakers that provide 360º omni-directional audio
- Provides up to 9 hours of playback
- Always getting smarter and adding new features and skills
- Includes Charging Cradle
Amazon Tap Technical Specs:
|Size:|| Amazon Tap: 6.2" x 2.6" x 2.6" (159 mm x 66 mm x 66 mm);|
Charging Cradle: 0.6" x 2.6" x 2.6" (15 mm x 66 mm x 66 mm)
|Weight:|| Amazon Tap: 16.6 oz. (470 grams);|
Charging Cradle: 3.8 oz. (109 grams)
|Battery Life||Up to 9 hours of continuous playback. Battery life will vary based on device settings, usage, and environmental factors. Actual results may vary.|
|Wi-Fi Connectivity||Supports public and private Wi-Fi networks or mobile hotspots that use the 802.11b, 802.11g, or 802.11n standard with support for WEP, WPA, and WPA2 security using password authentication|
|Bluetooth Connectivity||Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) support for audio streaming from your mobile device to Amazon Tap. Audio/Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP) for voice control of connected mobile devices. Media control over AVRCP is not supported for Mac OS X devices.|
|Audio||Dual 1.5-inch drivers and dual passive radiators for bass extension|
|System Requirements||Amazon Tap comes ready to connect to your home Wi-Fi. The Alexa App is compatible with Fire OS, Android, and iOS devices and also accessible via your web browser. Certain skills and services may require subscription or other fees. When tethering to a mobile device hotspot, standard data rates may apply.|
|Warranty and Service||1-year limited warranty and service included. Optional 1-year, 2-year, and 3-year extended warranty available for U.S. customers sold separately. Use of Amazon Tap is subject to the terms found here.Included in the BoxAmazon Tap, Charging Cradle, microUSB cable and adapter, and quick start guide|